JWotka
Posted 06 March 2004 23:29
Dave, you might combine the WHW comments in this thread into a combined thread?

George & Ernst, I picked up a book a few years back on the WHW. "Spendenbelege des Winterhilfswerkes/ Band 1/ Reichsstrassensammlungen 1933-45" by Reinhard Tieste, self published 1991. He identifies the earlier looking blue WHW figures as offered during the street collection for Tag d.Deutschen Polizei on the 20 and 21 March 1936. There were four of the Elastolin figures offered: "Achtung" w/ the policeman's arm in salute, "Gesperrt" w/ both arms out horizontal, "Rechts abbiegen" w/ arm out to the right and "Links abbeigen" w/ arm out to the left. The figures were noted in blue and blue/gray, with some green ones offered in Gau Halle-Merseburg.

The series of eight plastic figures were offered during the Kriegs WHW National Street Collection for the Tag der Deutschen Polizei on 18 February 1940. Tieste notes that the figures were offered painted, in silvergray color and in gold color. I have never seen the gold. Has anybody?

What is very interesting is that Tieste identifies the postcards of the Knotel series as being issued in conjunction with the Tag d. Deutschen Polizei of 29/29 January 1939. This may tie in with the date of the production order I noted in the Knotel folio thread, but it is difficult to correlate with the later orders and creation of the Feuerschutzpolizei uniforms.

Tieste's book is an excellent reference for the variety of material offered during III Reich Police WHW events

"Whoever dies with the most toys wins!" Anonymous