i`ll probably get shot down for two simple little observations in all of this,not having seen the pics but i think it was mentioned about the hanger being mentioned in a letter missing from sword at some point ,then sword appears to have one so scabbord could be replacement .....could this have been the teardrop hanger that was mentioned in the letter , not the one permanantly attatched to the scabbord ,it may have had a teardrop hanger at some point it went missing ????,and in letter the guy just called it a hangerand wasnt refering to the one on scabbord.

as regards the dagger being non conforming to regulations of the date i think this had earlier fittings than allowed to be worn later if i have read the posts correct . i get the idea this was presented by commrades or family ....probably not ever intended for dress wear ,probably was in a drawer at home most of time . If a private purchase or upgrade then they could have perhaps asked for special features from manufacturer as the recipient prefered the old style ,what the hell it wouldnt matter about regulations for wearing the thing then.guess the blade etch wasnt standard .
i have a very expensive wristwatch that is a gift from wife and daughter engraved for my 40th but i dont wear it for work ,i wear a cheap �15 for work because they get trashed every 12 month or so. guess the dagger could have sat in a drawer most of time,only to be worn when the recipient knew he could get away with it .I have a police sword with triple etch blade ...now that doesnt really meet the police regulations of time i guess,but it was a custom order.

i`m not taking any side in this topic ,as i`ve got somewhat lost in it all ,and these points may have already been covered in the 13 pages,im not going to re-read them all, and i respect each of the views of all as single persons views,hell if we all thought exactly alike we wouldnt be human. but when we argue in the canteen at work for days on end ...eventually somebody else shouts..."no disrespect to anyone but ..give it a break lads"