Jagdtiger74, I don�t really disagree with a lot of what you say, but I do have a different point of view which I will explain. Before that I have to express my thanks for your insight into business operations in Solingen - before, during, and after the war. I mean that sincerely. Because this is the first time in my memory where we have a chance to discuss what happened, and what is happening now, with someone from the heart of the German blade making world in Solingen itself.

I also did not know that you were as well connected historically to the Solingen blade industry. Which in itself is a valuable asset. From my side I have a somewhat comparable background of industrial experiences, and used to send plating work out to a company that specialized in aerospace work. However anodizing was done in house because it was cheaper. Forgings came in from an outside supplier. But the machining was done in house. But we are not here to discuss manufacturing.

I would agree that even the largest producers in Solingen used some subcontracted components. There is ample evidence that it was done. And that some work could be or was farmed out.

It�s a fact that German industry was chronically short of raw materials. Metal alloys: copper, aluminum, nickel, sometimes steel. Plastics, even leather. The physical evidence is in the daggers made of substitute alloys, thin or no plating. Knife scabbards and early ersatz bayonet frogs. And changes in dagger, bayonet, pistol and machine gun grips and many other items. Series production of dress weapons was terminated early in 1942. After that the only companies that had relatively easy access to raw materials were those who made items for the Wehrmacht. Although I would agree that essentials such as razor blades could be included as well. One dagger maker for example made surgical instruments, so I�m certain that exceptions could be made.

And it�s a fact that all or almost all of the young men and many of the older ones who would have been apprentices or workers were called into military service. Instead factories used to a large extent prisoners, conscripted foreign workers, and women to take their place.

And we know that manufacturing in Solingen did not completely stop until early in January of 1945. Very early. How is that known? Because the combat bayonets for the Wehrmacht were no longer being produced. Some of the reasons are Allied bombing which impacted Solingen production in 1944 and later. And a lot of it had to do with constant air attacks on the German transportation system.

So even if we completely forget the fact that the 1st model dagger was forbidden for a Luftwaffe officer to wear. What actual evidence do we have to show that the dagger in question was made late in 1944?? Certainly not the dagger itself. How do you evaluate something that is not before you? The somewhat hazy images were pulled almost immediately.

I think that if you had money or better yet power (influence) almost anything could be done even in wartime. But only up until a certain point in time.

I�m not trying to start an argument. I hope that I have explained my point of view from my perspective in the spirit in which it is intended. I also sincerely hope that you continue to contribute because it can give all of us who don�t live there extremely valuable insight. Looking forward to your continued postings on the forum.
With My Best Regards, FP