I have 2 American civil war swords in my possession that belonged to my recently deceased father.

Our ancestors, including my heroic father in WWII, have been courageously fighting on behalf of their country's and their beliefs (dating as far back as the War of the Roses) for centuries. I found one of the swords (photo attached to this post) that I believe from my research is an 1860 Cavalry Saber and it has P17 on the grip.

My father use to tell my brother and I stories about how our family's forefather's fought on behalf of the North. He even spoke of Gettysburg quite often. One of our forefathers also most definitely fought in the Spanish American war (we have the medal he was honored with) and I believe it was his father that served on behalf of the North in the American Civil War.

Although my brother and my memories are remorsefully now a bit vague in recalling every detail of our historical childhood stories after all these years, we believe this sword was actually used by one of our forefathers at Gettysburg, however, we could be wrong.

The other sword that my brother is trying to locate somewhere in the house is (I believe) from the South. My mom put it away when my father became ill, so I don't have photos or have a lot of info on it as of yet (it was something my father purchased long before I was born and is not an heirloom). As soon as I know anything, I will post it, as well.

I would be so very grateful for someone(s)extremely knowledgeable assistance. I can email many more photos if they are needed.

My deepest thanks!

Best regards,

Lesley

DSC00374.JPG (39.01 KB, 96 downloads)