quote:
Originally posted by Houston Coates:
To sum up then-are you saying that some of the fakes are made from molds fashioned from original eagles? and the poor quality is due to improper material or heating?-If so which makers have you seen? Gaspare's is different-do you think this is a total fake-not made from any original? This leaves the question of the hollow backs which seems to indicate a great expense-but perhaps not-maybe you will find it is not so much? This hollow back thing is what I have difficulty understanding if in fact it is a lot of money.

Houston,

Now im going to have to speculate, the only bird seen with a raised logo is a Wehog, which to me would mean that if a real one was found, the logo would be recessed, as no real Wehog has been seen, so the mold is unique.

I have seen most of the maker's, but until you get a comparison piece of the same manufacture on an item that no one has really studied, combined with the maker differences, it has been hard to call over the years, I think I sent back 2 good ones. Smile.

I dont want to misquote JR and I dont have his word's on hand, but I believe he is of the opinion that the 15 inch eagle that Gaspare has posted are all fake. This is not true, as I personally have inspected 2 that were direct veteren items, however there was a unique marking to the rear of the bird on both piece's that I have yet to see at a show. It most probably is cast from a real eagle or a cast of a cast, as some are worse than others.

I would have to say that the repro's for the most part are in fact cast from original birds, its common sense when you reference the stud casts. But I guess a real mold could have survived.

And hollow backs?, I am not sure what you mean?
Real or fake? or the cast itself?

In regards to the bad casting, yes I am of the opinion from the look and feel and lack of continuity, that it is a chemical compound issue. I think they are aluminum or a failed attempt at a chemical balance. It just makes sense to me.

K