quote:
Originally posted by Houston Coates:
I certainly agree that the quality is bad on that one--but as you say-given the difficulty and expense in making a mold-can we be sure it is a fake?-- And the quality does not seem to be related to the mold but rather possibly to the type of material used or the heating of it. Why? It would seem that anyone capable of making the mold would know how to make a proper casting?????-and what are those hash marks?

Houston,

When you handle them you know, first of all, each maker depending on size, has individual characteristic's in the wreath,claws,beak etc etc. So one maker who let's say made a 24" a 27" and a 28" each one is different. So one maker used multiple mold's. That would mean 7 or 8 manufacturer's could have used up to 24 molds.

This is just is not cost efficient for someone to do as a repro artist, not now and not in the 50's. It would not of even been necessary.

There are period picture's, which is more than some other items in itself, the quality although it varies from maker to maker is far superior than the reproductions on the market. These were cast and hand finished, so they can vary. But they dont look anything like the fakes. The fakes just dont compare unless you place them amongst thier fake partners.

I can have them cast in sand, but they wont look great, and then your subject to the original as well, which is one of the reasons that alot of the fakes are so easily detectable, as they have partial lugs or connecting devices contingent on their original use, so when their recast? you can spot them as not only are there remnents of those devices, they are cast remnants.

Now, my previous post's in regards to casting these, is a minefield as not only to they have to be the proper size, you need a clean original and even after you cast it, its going to need some form of hand fitting and finish. And even if you get it right the first time?.

Then lets say you do get it right? its got chemical components other than aluminum, based on the periodic tables on the rear of the bird, its a cookbook, which could also have a lot to do with how the cast comes out, as its not just aluminum, its a mixture or an alloy if you will?.

This could also be the reason why some of these cast so poorly, but ones made of other materials such as brass and bronze come out beautiful, its the elements. I dont think you can use pure aluminum casting, or they would have used it. They were mounted flat for the most part, so they did not need the added strength of magnesium.

Why Magniseum or silicon? what do these properties add to the process in getting the finished product?. Silicon allows for expansion and Magnesium burns hot and has been an additive to aluminum for years, the high intensity burn when combined with aluminum and Silicon, could easily explain why they cant be recast well in Aluminum alone.

You want to confirm that bird is a fake, everyone kick in and I will have it cut in half, and I bet it is pure aluminum.

K