Houston,

We know they existed in the period, we know there were several manufacturer's and different sizes, as well as stud placement's. There are varying degrees of casting quality per maker. But reference allthough more than we had is still not fully developed. The recast versions are just cheesy looking, and hold the same characteristic's as it's original maker to it's fake counterpart in regards to its form.

Even though there is new reference some birds do deviate in size and stud placement even under the same maker mark.

The bird in question is no doubt a reproduction, however I have seen 2 original 15 inch specimens that have been copied excessively and have been written off as fakes all together.

Information is limited, but what is currently available is decent, but as they continue to be studied, I see issues, as they do vary. And there will be arguments over legitimate and bogus eagles.

How hard is it to make a mold? well, I have 2 birds with one of the best machinists in the country at this very moment, and he is going over them, to see what degree of difficulty is involved in casting an undetectable fake, includeing the lugs.

The consensus on the cone shape pieces is that they were never tapped, these would also make casting a fake bird easier, as anybody can tap it with the proper equiptment.

As the reference on these continue, there are bound to be some mistakes as they are aluminum cast, but I shopped them for several years before I bought my first and it was hands down far superior to the one that has caused the melee in the community forum. Anyone can spot that bird, but then again? I guess not.

Kris