Dave, This product is certainly much more expensive than the average leatherworker would stand for. Probably specifically marketed to a nich market. Car restorers.
I use a lot of dye in my work and a quart costs me around 12 bucks.
Analine dye has very fine pigments used to color leather. Some, not all are water based. Some is alchohol based. All have different properties. The base is a transport system to evenly distribute the pigment to the leather, then evaporate or disapear leaving the coloration.
Dye is dye but it is not shoe polish. Shoe polish is a tool that adds many things to shine & color but is mostly for repelling water. Shoes need this but vintage leather does not. It has waxes and water repellants with large partical pigments. It is not meant to be absorbed as dye is so much but to act as a thin shield.
I have seen many a German holster ruined with shoe polish. It is generally slathered on, adds too much dirty pigment and discolors threads.
I have a Friend who uses Renn Wax on all his leather. I wouldn't do it but it looks nice and I don't think it is too harmfull.
There is much that can be applied to leather that will be used in harsh environments and worn out over time. This is not the stuff to use on vintage leather that is meant to be stored in a cool dry spot. Much of the goo available will severly discolor beautifull period German dyes.
No actual long term tests have been made to my knowledge. For instance, microbes think bees wax is delicious. They thrive on the stuff and on the leather and thread that has it on it. What you put on an expensive vintage leather piece is worth thinking about...Jerry Burney

lugerholsterrepair
Yuma, AZ 85367