Brad, I believe switching venues for your 'fix' already started to happen several years ago and is now reflected in the escalating prices of US and Soviet militaria. Whats bad for one end of the hobby seems to be good for the other. I sold off the vast majority of my TR collection and have newfound enthusiasm in how inexpensive and fun collecting other nations militaria can be. There is rare stuff to chase in that arena as well.

The problem with the TR stuff is it used to be fun and relatively inexpensive and those of us who have been in it for decades remember collecting it for the history and getting pieces from the vets with their capture stories. Now it seems to have turned into an ego stroke with everyone trying to out-buy each other in a mad competition to flaunt your latest ultra-rare score and get attaboys from the club and looks of jealousy from the have nots. Sad state indeed. As John Pic earlier stated, there are many buying items who have no knowledge whatsoever not only of the history but of the item. Its more prevelant on other forums where its a constant onslaught of "Is this good" threads of items belonging to "friends". These idiots buy stuff and THEN try and determine if its real or not.

Yes, its gone from a hobby filled with guys who studied the history of the war to an influx of refugees from a Star Trek convention used to collecting things still sealed mint in box. Argh.