Dean,

Another fine, colorful graphic image - love that "meat-tenderizer" the fellow is carrying. Yes, I believe that's the correct Bavarian lion depicted in the painting, though, there are many different variations that would also be considered correct state emblems. Der Deutsche Schulverein Südmark was another organization that promoted the German language and culture throughout the Austro-Hungarian Empire starting around 1880. This must have been an important issue during the years before the First World War and it seems this would be related to the card you posted earlier at the top of this page, "Bund der Deutschen in Niederösterreich."

Kolibri,

Thanks for adding the cards from your collection, both are very good examples from the "Kaiserzeit."

I especially like the first rendering of the German front-soldier, it's quite a striking image that illustrates this war-bond messege, "Help us to Victory..."

This is a very well executed drawing. The bold flat-colors really bring this man to life - the details to his battle-kit and the shadow-areas under the helmet are very natural and realistic. The highlights in his eyes and his stare tell the story ... "it's them or us..." The way the soldier is framed by wood and barbed-wire is quite clever and the splinter-effect of the border seems to further carry that feeling of sharp wire, too.

Thanks to both of you for the good graphics ...

Best!

Bill

Ps Dean just saw your latest post, sorry for falling behind but I've been swamped over here ... getting ready to visit my mates in Germany and several million other things ... Big Grin