Luke,

Good additions ... these can go to show just how far the thread of German-militarism was woven into the fabric of normal life at that time. The first two cards seem to blend the innocence of youth, regional appeal - in the young girl's style of dress, and the military pride in which every young German should aspire to - winning the coveted EKII, für Gott, Kaiser und Heimat. Take all of that, roll it into the personage of two cherubic, little kids and viola', there you have it - "Give me your young..." and get 'em ready early, folks. heh. The form and shape of human butchery can take on many guises, even harmless children. It really works well. Big Grin

I didn't mean to take this "lighter" example and turn it into something dark or greusome, but then again, that's about the downright truth and reality of it. A small recruiting poster for the inevitable - war and murder. But, if there is an "up" or "lighter-side," we can see how impressive winning the Iron Cross was back then, mostly EKII's for enlisted men. An EM with both the first and second-class Iron Crosses would have probably made a young lad's eyes pop out if he spied them together on a soldier's uniform! That most likely would have been a very brave man you were looking at. Look at Hitler's praise for the award from time to time during the course of dialog, he was very, very proud of having earned his. By the end of the Second World War an Iron Cross of either class wasn't worth much any more, they said they were handing them out left and right...

Now that's a tasty Hussar silohouette! Amazing how the artist thought to fit that second figure in there too - brilliant, ha! Great contrast between the bold horsemen and those thin, wispy smoke clouds drawn in a very light hand. All topped off with a beautiful, tightly rendered EK and oak-sprig all captioned by the urgent war cry, "Hard at/on top of 'em..!"

You did well to grab this one up, it's a real beauty, got it all for me - very nice!

Dean, I like both the imaginary and naturalistic, especially when the two are combined. But let there be no doubt, nobody can top Mother Nature when it comes to shapes, patterns and color. She's got a most intense palette that man cannot quite yet duplicate, too! Hues so bright and vivid in fish and fowl, it staggers even the camera-lens! Now that's cool ... Cool

Best!

Bill