Dave,

oh-oh ... looks like he's going down behind enemy lines this time! Eek

Dean - sorry it's taken a while, been sick as a dog the past couple weeks ...

I'm not sure if they ever made a postcard of this one? I saw somewhere that it was used as a right-wing political campaign poster during one of the elections, possibly early thirties? I think Hohlwein was directly available to the government but I'm not certain if it was as a freelance artist or directly under the employ of..? Also not sure if the image belonged to Hitler or to one of the other candidates or parties?

This image at card-size would make for a nice minimalist beauty in a simple wooden frame. A very strong graphic that one, like the famous Hitler black and white campaign poster. To me it conveys everything you need to know in a fraction of an instant, a clear precise thought with little or no chance of being misunderstood. The unknown soldier asks us all directly, point-blank, "and you..?" - implying, and what are you doing for our country? In a similar vein this other old postcard graphic, two Frontsoldaten confront the viewer with another loaded statement, something even more direct, "We're dying for you! And you?" - please friend, tell us your big accomplishments? I think that kind of question would be enough to put almost anyone in a bit of a tight spot..? The "right-stuff" for any good propaganda department. Smile

Instead of an original costly Hohlwein print, perhaps a good illustrated book could be found for well under a hundred bucks? That would be a fairly good substitute, eh?

Looking forward to seeing some new artwork fellas, how about sharing a scan or two with us?

Thanks and good collecting to all.

Best!

Bill

und_Du.jpg (86.64 KB, 276 downloads)