Bill

I know what I like but I don't know how to express why I like it???
I know exactly what you are saying, the hardship for most people is knowing exactly how it was produced in the first place, it's not always obvious and many a print has been mistaken for a painted picture. You would have to understand the nuances within the printing world to determine why you like one above the other before any conclusions could be drawn as to why you like it better. I agree that it's all about studying your subject, that way you can become informed on the nuances of that particular subject, I ask myself that basic question first, "do I like it" if the answer is yes and I think the item worth more research then I would delve more into it's manufacture, but still for me it is the most important fact to like it first. That's not to say I cannot appreciate the way it was produced, it's just hard to express myself because I know little of the method of manufacture.
I like most of the images posted within this thread to date, some are better than others, if it helps I like the images that are more lifelike that have good colour and are sharp in definition, I'm not sure I look too much past the composition and those traits listed above.

Gary