Dean,

Believe it or not, the pheasant print is beautifully reproduced but still isn't at the highest skill-level of printing, though, I'd consider this example to rank just below the gold-standard. The printers who produced this graphic were master-journeymen and absolute tops in their profession.

Gary -

Yes, I agree with you to a certain extant and will try to explain ... first - do I like it, yes or no? (that's the easy part) Much like any of our other collectibles, the details are what it's all about after everything's said and done. I believe that's what Dean was saying -"Does the printing method add something additional to the image?" In which case I'd have to say yes, a small pinch of added flavor. To most, they couldn't give a tinker's darn and that's fair enough - if you like something, that's it, fini. But knowing a little bit more about it never hurt, eh? For instance, if you know all the details that go into producing one of those outstanding Imperial Hirschfänger, you sort of appreciate it a bit more, nicht war? Attention to the myriads of producer-markings, stampings, codes and such is another detail that would add to the overall appeal of a fine hunting weapon, no?
True, in the end it all boils down to, "Do I like it..." ... but here my question is, why?

Sturm's Pheasant -

To my eye the symmetry, structure and balance of the decorative, Jugendstil iris-border is fantastic and stands all by itself. The lovely bird and flowers really pull one's concentration right into the heart of the painting and that bold spot of black on the fowl's head and chest makes for a powerful contrast, bold as brass. It really fastens the attention directly to the main subject. The anatomy and structure of the bird is excellent and the detail to the Rhododendron leaves, flowers and buds is near photographic quality, which I personally like. The pastel color-palette is so soft and yet vibrant and rich, an absolutely wonderful spectrum of pleasing tints. At once the whole thing has an enchanted, hazy look about it, while at the same time it's razor sharp and crystal clear. Almost like looking at an image while being in a dream-state ... nice, nice, nice! Something I could enjoy looking at for a long, long time.

Hope you might enjoy the Professor's classic illustration ... thanks fellas! Smile

WWII