Adam,

Thanks for your thoughts and kind response. You mention culture, or actually the lack of it today. heh... only time will tell, however, I'm sure there's something good going on somewhere out there? - Yeah, how about some of our own great and powerful cultural icons - Michael Jackson, Brittney, other tone-deaf singers in general, gangstas, buffoons, etc ... big smelly mounds of poop and pleez, ... spare me wid dat munchkin-brained cosmic debris!

It seems these days we're all pretty much fully occupied with our own unique and sometimes drastically normal work-a-day rat-races, or wheels-of-mis-fortune, or whatever the individual case may be? Work, get up, go to work again, on and on over and over, ad nauseum, ad infinitum ... well, for better or worse I've chosen this hobby and have stuck with it longer than many a passing fancy over the fleeting years. Hopefully I'd like to be able to pass on some of my small inspirations and personal triumphs to any who share the same kindred interests, but then again, maybe not? Leastwise, I'm willing to give 'er a go ...

For those who become really 'entranced/entrenced' in our hobby, we normally find most of the very sucessful boys keenly knowledgeable not only in their specific fields of interest, but also in many aspects of world history in general and European history, specifically. The more you know about how many different events in time interlock and actually influence one another, the greater your appreciation will be for some of the very things that we persue and collect. Seemingly insignificant details may add just the right icing on the cake, it's exactly why you'll see grown men get really jazzed about a simple number or code stamped into a seemingly common medal or dagger of some sort... it's all in the details, as one of our forum member's tag goes. Those are excellent words to live by if you're any kind of collector worth your salt.

I'd say learning about the culture of the people who's stuff we collect is imperative, that is, if we actually want to become even semi-serious about it, no? Yes, in that context it can be a most helpful and a valuable tool in our personal kitbag of collecting-tips. Knowing the mindset, terminology and general mood of the times may help you to make an important and costly decision someday in the future, maybe precisely when you're buying that ultra-rare presentation piece you've wanted and saved for all your life ... hmm?

From that perspective alone I'd say it'd be worth studying the years just prior to whatever era or period it is that you're interested in, too, as you'll make lots of new connections that way. Read and understand anything and everything from the time-slot that most grabs your fancy, Someday, an almost insignificant little detail might just pay off in trumps!

The past will always hold its value as long as there are those who have an appreciation for it.
Happy trails and good collecting to all you gents!

Bill