Johnny, thanks for going to the trouble of un-packing to find these and taking some great photos! The pics clearly show how different these two pieces are. The Puma certainly looks to be a very high quality piece with a beautiful deep, sharp, and highly detailed etch - thankyou for showing it!

In terms of the quality, the 'DJ type' can't be compared to the Puma, and I don't think the lesser quality alone would necessarily mean that the 'DJ type' version was not a period piece. A scenario - if the �DJ� pieces are more prevalent than the Puma types, which they seem to be, perhaps this could be because their overall total production cost may have been a lot less than the Puma. As they were essentially souvenirs, perhaps a lower quality item at a lesser cost would be sufficient to sell at the Party Day, and therefore also allow a little more margin for the Party with each piece sold.

On the other hand, if the �DJ type� did not appear until the 80�s sometime, this would have to put a question mark over why the �DJ type� did not appear until 45+ years after the event, and most likely the first question asked is - could this type be postwar? If so, then my opening post in this thread, of trying to explain the existence of the so-called �DJ/BDM� knife as leftover un-etched Rally knives cannot be right � and that�s okay! Judging by the number of views this topic has received, it would appear that there is a great deal of interest in these knives and I look forward to seeing and reading more about them!

Regards

Russell