In previous threads it has been noted that there is no known recorded evidence of these knives in the period that would settle this issue either way. As a latecomer to this hobby I like many others have taken direction from those with an advanced knowledge & experience. The knife is mentioned in very early publications & is seemingly acknowledged by some very advanced collectors & dealers from way back to within but a few years of the period. Perhaps some of these knives were obtained by them from veterans which may account for this recognition. Perhaps if one of our senior members has had the good fortune to directly acquire one they will contribute to this thread.

Unfortunately given the voluminous photographic archives not everything is recorded to simplify our quest for knowledge. For example; I have a superb banner that is quite definately a period banner, but as yet no photograph exists to conclusively prove it. Should one ever appear then the value would no doubt multipy considerably. This however is unlikely as one does not normally take photographs in a chapel of rest.

The DJ example that I have has an emblem identical to that of the HJ knife but rather than being flat the surface of the emblem is convex & follows the contour of the scabbard. The scabbard does not appear to have been tampered with post manufacture & so I can only assume it was assembled that way. There are those- & I have no doubt in some quantity over the years- that have been interfered with; most notably with an HJ badge being affixed by some method. I believe that like the HJ knife emblem they should "wiggle" if deemed to be correct. It is certainly interesting to ressurect this topic & let us hope that like so many others it will not vanish into the ether at the divine will of groupee.

War is when your government tells you who the enemy is.
Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself.