Fred, thanks very much for your reply and also the links to the other discussions.

I'm trying to understand the purpose of these so-called DJ/BDM knives with the Bakelite grip. To my limited knowledge, there is nothing at all that shows these knives to be linked to the DJ or the BDM in the first place. Perhaps this theory came about because the knives are physically smaller than the HJ, and generally, so are the members of these organisations, but that's all.

There are ample period photos of the DJ wearing the standard HJ knife, but none that that show the smaller knife being worn by them or the BDM. Also, as you have said in the earlier thread, no period documentation has surfaced, including manufacturer catalogues, which detail the existence of the smaller knife. And, the HJ knife is known as the �Fahrtenmesser f�r die Hitler-Jugend und das Deutsche Jungvolk� from period sources. So why have another one?

My thoughts are that this knife was not intended to be worn by any organization. I think that it may have been manufactured purely for use as a commemorative knife for the events such as the Party Rallies, as a souvenir if you like. If this were the case, then large numbers of the basic knife would have been made, and then etched accordingly as each event came up. When the war started, the stockpile of un-etched knives would no longer have a purpose, and so stay packed up, for use when the war finished. It could also explain the lack of an RZM mark, as the knife was not any part of an official �uniform� as such. It could also explain its aluminium construction, not requiring the strength for physical daily use, as required by the HJ knife.
I�ve read that these knives were found by the crate towards the end of the war, which could explain why so many are seen in good condition.

I�ve not had the opportunity to handle one of the commemorative knives, or in fact, the �plain� version either. But I�ve always been puzzled by the description the plain version has been given and offer the above for comment. I hope someone who has one or some of these commemorative and plain knives will post some pics.

I�ve added a pic of some DJ members receiving their HJ knives and cross-strap. Apologies for the clarity � it�s a paused image taken from a video.

Regards

Russell

HJ_pres_1.jpg (89.1 KB, 1324 downloads)