Grant I think they are real.

That said if you ever got a chance to visit North Palm Springs California and were invited to enter the back room you would be able to study the best fakes ever available.The problem there is you find one you cant tell the difference on and ask if its fake you will be told its not.There are some very very good fakes. Much of the very common items edelweiss patches,heer breast eagles,specialty patches etc. are sold in large volume to collectors and dealers who turn around and sell them as real either on auction sites or at shows.An easy way to make money without selling off your collection.I have alot of doubts towards much of the SS cloth surfacing today unless it is vet purchased.For obvious reasons.These repros arent made in Europe they are done in the Phillipines and Pakistan with precision copying techniques.
Many of the big expert names will tell you they can tell the difference,thats not true but of co**** thats what they have to say to maintain the status they carry and earned to some degree from experience.But thats also another problem we all have except among friends we dont like to admit we can be duped.I watched people compare a fake eagle and say some detail was different so it had to be bad, then I find an original from old collection with the same flaw they pointed out as being a tell tale sign.