It seems to me that if these daggers have blue or green grips and ARE period, then the most logical assumption is that in the late war period customs grips were used on Heer daggers. Perhaps this was due to a shortage of standard heer grips and a few available left-over customs grips laying around... It is a logical possibility that a stock of extra customs grips could have been laying around since they are such a comapritively smaller organization.
The questions that I would have though are:
1) What makers have shown up with these grips??? If it were only 1 or 2 makers, I think that would lend some credibility to the possibility that these were "last-ditch-effort-pieces".
2) IF these are "last-ditch-effort" pieces, why would the solingen manufacturers dare ro stray SO far from the regualtion patern, afterall, you are going to have Heer officers confused with Customs officers with these types of daggers going around!
It seems to me that if the companies could not make a legit Heer dagger due to shortages, they would not make it at all.
3) Is there any chance that this is a "last-ditch-effort" customs dagger (rather than a Heer dagger) using late war Heer fittings (because they would be available and hardly distinguishable from customs fittings (especially for non-collectors Wink)).
To me, it would make more sence that this is a last-ditch customs than a last-ditch Heer..Opinions???

I am just throwing a few ideas out there, hope I did not say anything too dumb. I am very interested in this thread. This is a fascinating variation...
Looking forward to other thoughts....

Silver Badge #0398

My Avatar = My dagger security system! wink