Hello Roadhog. I will do my best to answer your query.

The problem with bayos modified in such a way is that there is almost no way to prove whether or not it was done by a German soldier during wartime or done yesterday by "bubba," unless there was some shop out there that was documented modifying and selling these bayos to US soldiers on occupation duty, or something to that effect (which I highly doubt). That type of construction (using plexiglass grips and putting something under the grips) was certainly popular during the WWII era, but that's not enough to constitute proof of origin or time frame.

The bayonet itself, in my opinion, appears to be one of the private purchase S98s as opposed to an issue S98 later plated. I base this on what looks like a lack of markings. Privately Purchased S98s are quite common.

As for the value or desirability, I'm afraid most will see the grip modification as damage, and as such the only value would be in the remaining original parts of the bayo. That it's an Imperial bayonet with 3rd Reich modifcations doesn't help either. You're looking at the $75-150 range for what's there, at least that would be my guess (though generally we all tend to shy away from giving people values for many reasons).

Here's to those who make what we collect worth collecting.

Bravo Troop, 1/7 CAV, 5th BCT, 1CD
OIF II, Al-Rashid, Baghdad, Iraq
GARRYOWEN!