Sadly, large scale ethnic, political and/or religious genocides are a reality and have been widespread and commonplace in modern history. It's a truly sad reflection on mankind�s ability to destroy itself. We marvel at our technical achievements so often used if the most vile of ways. The crux of my argument is simple. Hopefully, these tangible reminders, like the "Arbiet Frei" sign and other artifacts of genocide like a Kalashnikova from Sierra Leone or the Tutsi/Hutu Rwandan conflict, will be preserved so to serve future generations. Preservation of these specific artifacts is critical because it's tangible, it's real... they are items we can see and touch.

Theft of any cultural artifact is a crime against the community of citizens and in this case the collective memory of a people who suffered a tragic fait. I stand by my assertion that the theft of this artifact is a desecration to the memory of those who suffered at the hands of others. Not just practicioners of Judaism, but all peoples who suffered during this oppressive period in contemporary times. I stand by my assertion that the theft of any cultural icon is a tragedy for future generations. Whether the theft of a concentration camp sign, or an ancient olla from the Kumeyaay band of Native Americans, it�s a loss of a culturally significant item. We are collectors. Short term care takers of artifacts. As such, most collectors of antiquity understand that preservations of such artifacts is a fundamentally critical cornerston.

I�ve expressed my feelings and opinions on the matter, and am very elated that the sign was recovered. Hopefully, it will be returned to it�s rightful place and continue to contribute to the memory of those lost during this dark period of our modern history. Fortunately there is now closure to this issue. Recovery of the artifact was of paramount importance. If prosecution of the perpetrators follows, so beit. The sign was recovered and hopefully the museum has learned from the event and will implement steps to mitigate the possibility of this happening again.

Tom

German Sabers