quote:
Originally posted by hapur:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Fred Prinz (aka "Frogprince"):

Are you suggesting that Gaspare�s die is some kind of �hobbing� (Abw�lzverfahren) die? I have not seen this exact ring in a finished condition, so what I posted was my best estimation. But if the body of the ring is the same gauge metal as the band portion. How was the ring made with only one die without something to push against to form the metal? For example: How would a stamping press make an automobile hood with curves from just one die. Without some kind of mirror image die to force the metal into the desired shape?

In old times that was done with soft puanson, wide variety of them. Even cardboard was used as male die. In old times that was done for few reasons. First to cut moldmaking expenses, second to make sure that even lovwer qualiefied personal can not brake dies, and speed is the same, results are the same, why to go hard and expensive way. Below is pic how ring from Gaspare die will look

Your �baby� (I like that) Cool sounds like one of the machines that were made to last a very long time - which is a good thing. Not like some of the ones today. I'm assuming that it is a conventional punch press - instead of a coining press (Pr�gemaschine)?

My "baby" is friction screw press approx 4 meters tall.

But we also have some schools that have classes for adults in casting and making jewelry as a hobby. With some of the students deciding to go into business for themselves with dishonest intentions.

Yes agree but I think problem is with dishonest sellers not with craftsmen. For example with my products, I do not think you can blame me for making reproductions and selling them as such. But problem is with resellers buying them and after ageing selling them as originals.

DSC00280.jpg (79.76 KB, 504 downloads)

There are less original rings than you think, much less...

www.totenkopfrings.com