Hello Ger, your observations and statements, due to your vast and excellent experience, are quite valuable! So let us all "disassamble" these interesting hangers hopefully we can shed some light in this hangers case:

First it is said that these certain hangers with the TIGER 2nd luft dagger are veteran aquired bringbacks. Naturally buy the item not the story BUT as there is a direct, personal link it sounds VERY confidential and serious.

When looking at these hangers the leather material immedially looks "new" which is really spurious. 70+ years old leather -normally- has another look I have to admit that this was also my little personal reservation aginst these hangers. I would like to hold such hangers in hands and especially do the smell test grin and examine the habit of the material which could help and perhaps solve the riddle immediately.
In this state it is also interesting to see the (army) hangers in the link. At least one of the rivets, which obviously consits of aluminum has an absolutely typical trace of age. Up to my knowledge you today could not obtain such certain aluminum rivets, only steel rivets.

The certain matrerial of these hangers (without velvet; with this certain structured material) was looked at as postwar for many years and by many collectors. Nowadays it is commonly looked at as correct, period replacement material. Hangers with such material were said found on edged weapons directly from the former (period) wearer and other doubtless sources.

When looking at these hangers all fittings are imho doubtless period manufactured, the hangers have the certain period look and the look of age.

This all said we still hang on the leather enhancement. Perhaps Coyote_Kyle could try the smell test: Do the leather parts smell like leather? Perhaps they have a more or less intensive but typical leather smell???

And @ Ger, what do you personally think of this replacement material of the straps???

Regards,

wotan, gd.c-b#105

"Never look for sqare eggs" as a late owner of an original FHH-dagger used to say.