quote:
Originally posted by Siegfried B:
Lloyd, I am a "Window shopper first", I do comparisons, I am not one to be the first on my block to have the latest fashion. Fads are for line standers. TW showed me his copy of Ralfs book, and I have seen everything in it, So for me I will wait!!, others have different opinions. This is a great hobby but not all of us out here (including me) are fortunate enough to get the "top shelf" stuff,, so I am content with what I have now. If something is within my reach then I will buy it. Some of my reference books have been 2nd hand buys but still has the first hand info. Best regards Larry

Larry, I too am not as fortunate cashwise to be able to afford "top shelf" stuff either but I love this stuff.
My very first purchase of a dagger was an SA. It had no paint on the scabbard so I spray painted it gold....until I found out it had to be brown! I repainted it and baked it in the oven. Came out fine too! Back in those days, there were no defintive books on daggers. Then Atwood came out and that book was gold to me. I still have that volume and of course many more accumulated over the eons.
I thought this book would be the ONE on SA's but I must say that very little material is top notch. I DO like the tang markings section and have taken my few SA's apart and now have the info on those markings on my file cards.
James, I forget all the time and you are 100% correct that money can indeed be saved with the correct book...NOT Atwood as it turned out on my wonderful "Naval Assault Forces" that I was able to pick up for a reasonable price.
I look forward to Tom's SA book. Anyone have an idea as to when it will come out?