Hi Dave,

thanks for the information and I will pass it along to my friend, Mr. Kashammer in Germany.

Mr. Kashammer did spell Coln, as he thought it is written on the blade.

Cologne was founded and established in Germanic Ubii territory in the 1st century CE as the Roman Colonia Agrippina, hence its name.[3] Agrippina was later dropped (except in Latin), and Colonia became the name of the city in its own right, which developed into modern German as Köln.

I also asked about the Gebruder Muller Verlangerungsmesser. It is from a separate firm, "Gebruder Muller, Stuttgart" Gegrundet 1830 and the firm started in Tuttlingen.

E-mail from Mr. Kashammer: "Gebrüder Müller is knife shop in Stuttgart now. I was there a few years ago. It was founded in the 1830s. It was a manufacturer of knives. But they started to sell knives from Tuttlingen very early.
Müller, Solingen is a different company."

(The "Gebr. Muller, Stuttgart" mark pictured is from a Jagdmesser blade in Mr. Kashamer's collection)

I also asked about the Renz and he replied: "Yes, it is. Probably from Carl Holz, because they traded to each other. But other Tuttlingen maker made this pattern. And Switzerland as well. See Renz, St. Gallen. But Renz originally came from Tuttlingen".

"Research is subject to change", a quote by Mildred Clark.

IMG_0209 (1).jpg (66.32 KB, 338 downloads)
Louis Hanau, Coln (blade and bolster markings)
IMG_0535.JPG (44.32 KB, 338 downloads)
Gebruder Muller, Verlangerungsmesser
IMG_4875.PNG (167.94 KB, 338 downloads)
Gebr. Muller, Stuttgart (mark)
Last edited by C. Wetzel-20609; 02/15/2023 06:35 PM.