Kieler Woche or "Kiel Week" was, & still is today, a sailing regatta established originally as an imitation of the British "Cowes Week" held off the Isle of Wight, a small island on the South coast of the UK which had been first sailed in 1826. In 1891 the German Kaiser, Wilhelm II, began to race his yacht each year at Cowes, while at the same time visiting his grandmother, Queen Victoria. He decided that Germany should have an equivalent regatta, so in 1895 an annual local rowing and sailing regatta usually held at the end of June was converted with royal patronage into the Kieler Woche.

In 1934 the NS regime saw the regatta as a perfect opportunity to promote German sportsmanship & introduced badges & plaques for (I believe) the first time. The badges I show below are from 1934, the only year I believe that badges were issued during the Third Reich period, however enamel plaques were issued for each year from 1934 to 1939. Due to the war the regatta wasn't held again fully until 1949 (in August 1945, just three months after cessation of hostilities, the British held a Kiel Week for themselves and their allies, the Danes, Norwegians and American forces. The Germans were not permitted on the water. It wasn't until 1948 that it became a fully German regatta and then finally in 1949, a race week.

Here are the badges from 1934, two enamel badges, one with a pin back & the other with a button hole attachment. Both are marked to M. Hansen, Kiel (incidentally Hansen also made the plaques & continued to do so almost every year until the late 1970's). And a "tinnie" version which is unmarked. I have no idea for the reason behind having an enamel & tinnie versions, whether the enamel was for the participants & the tinnie for spectators.... Or simply a more expensive enamel badge for those who could afford it & a cheaper tin version for the less well off....?

Notice that the tinnie is about 1mm larger than the enamel versions.

File1237a.jpg (107.22 KB, 72 downloads)
File1238a.jpg (135.96 KB, 72 downloads)

"Much that once was, is lost, for none now live who remember it"

Galadriel, LotR.