IMO...very significant when all other avenues of identity and authentication have been exhausted at least ..these markings as I said above will bring an identity closer than before.....AND....significant as it is a detail/s that a collector " wants " to see ...the same as runes buttons grip eagles ...crossguard types etc.

For those who dont touch their daggers...these markings will be of no use ...but only as a last resort ..that a collector feels s/he has to open it for further evaulation.

Some tangs will not have markings.

Edit from my 2nd post which I should of added to : ......( Not all ) .. of the tang markings have been identified to a producer or sub contractor ...but only has been identified in observation sightings of what dagger producers used these blade blanks.

Crossguard Gruppe marks also can be tied into the identity of a producer and 9 times out of 10...it will correlate with a tang marking.
These details ( especially gruppe marks ) that collector wants to see if the producer matches the gruppe mark designation.....and again all this through frequency in sightings

I also along with Vern am curious of more thoughts and opinions...the more the better smile

Regards Larry

Historical Stewardship is a Trusted Honor that must be kept!