Hi,
I’m new here but some of you might know me from The Honor Ring forum where I have been a member for several years. I collect Third Reich rings, however, I know nothing about knives and swords. I live in Switzerland and a friend of mine here owns this Hirschfanger. He would like to know if it’s real or not. He speaks no English so I promised to post it on one or two fora and seek expert opinions.

Regarding the Hirschfanger, there are no stamps or maker’s marks as far as I can tell. It and its scabbard are in very good condition. According to my friend, it is at least 50 years old. Question is, is it a genuine Third Reich item?

The blade is inscribed on either side. One side is engraved with the words: ‘Wer nicht hat freud am blanken Swert / Am Falkenflug / Am stolzen Pferd / Am Schoenen Weiss / Der hat kein richtig Herz im Leib’ (He who does not rejoice in the naked sword / In the flight of the falcon / In the proud horse / In the beautiful white / Has no real heart in his body).

The other side is engraved with: ‘Erich Hartmann, zur Erinnerung an den 29.10.1943’. Hartmann, as you may know, was the top-scoring Luftwaffe fighter pilot in WW2. On one side of his name is the engraved signature of Hermann Goering and, on the other, a couple of bronze-coloured oak leaves.

Interested to learn what you guys think. I can post additional photos if required. Many thanks in advance.

Stephen

rsz_hirschfanger_01.jpg (264.9 KB, 203 downloads)
rsz_hirschfanger_02.jpg (216.43 KB, 206 downloads)
rsz_hirschfanger_03.jpg (248.27 KB, 203 downloads)
rsz_hirschfanger_04.jpg (366.48 KB, 203 downloads)
rsz_hirschfanger_05.jpg (384.33 KB, 203 downloads)
rsz_hirschfanger_06.jpg (375.37 KB, 203 downloads)
rsz_hirschfanger_07.jpg (311.89 KB, 203 downloads)
rsz_hirschfanger_08.jpg (416.29 KB, 203 downloads)
rsz_hirschfanger_09.jpg (392.68 KB, 204 downloads)
rsz_hirschfanger_10.jpg (402.31 KB, 203 downloads)