Originally Posted by Herman V. (aka Herr Mann)
Gentlemen,

I wonder if daggers with ivory grips are not gonna become extremely difficult to trade in the near future?

CITES (Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of wild fauna and flora) certificates are more and more demanded here in Europe; even for antiques and objects of art, that contain just small (and real old) ivory parts.

It currently results in markets getting flooded with ivory items, as owners don't want to get stuck with them forever and certainly don't want their valuables to get confiscated when sold and/or exported...

What do you think?

Herman

PS: this means that bone grips are probably a safer option nowadays...

Concerning ivory parts on our appreciated daggers THIS is exactly what I have tought too. I have heard of already severe difficulties in Europa concerning officially (auctions, well known dealers) trading ivory gripped daggers and other artefacts. And - with respect - if I read the totally wrong described origin/age in CITES docs of one of the real big dealers I have my serious doubts if this way is working.

CONCERNING THE GRIP OF THE DAGGER SHOWN HERE IN THIS THREAD: Collector fellows, the certain grip looks to me - only from these pics - like typical "milk stone". The overall fine crackle and the superfucial muddy discoloration are typical for milk stone. I hesitated because milk stone is not a material normally seen on navy grips (the come by from time to time at army daggers) but the combination with the plain blade and the chamber piece number could explain the "cheaper" grip material. Also the early scabbard could be a hint to the certain material - a time when experiments with this certain material have been done. Just my two cents,
regards,

wotan, gd.c-b#105

"Never look for sqare eggs" as a late owner of an original FHH-dagger used to say.