I'm a bit jaded on most of the 60's-70's war movies like Eagles Dare because its too much like actually watching fiction, though granted they are not based off true stories.
Clint single handedly mowing down entire platoons of Nazis in secession was great to see as a teen, not so much now ... And when the pretty blonde starts mowing them down as well, I start to wonder why I am wasting my time watching this. Also the obligatory and highly corny love interests they always had to throw in, really can't take it anymore. In fairness, Eagles is extremely plot heavy with many twists and turns that you really have to pay attention to, now that I liked.

Dirty Dozen was Ok, probably been well more than a decade since I have seen it so I am due. The entire premise is feasible at least, as was the execution.

I liked Kellys Heros, which was an irreverent movie and made no pretext of being taken very seriously. Guns of Navarone was Ok as well.

I'd say my 2 favorites from that era, much more to my style and liking than the ego driven comic book style most of them were, is The Blue Max [granted, had a strong love interest throughout, but was actually intriguing and central to the entire movie] and ,,, Don't even remember the name but it starred Frank Sinatra of all people, trapped on an island with Japanese during WW2, started off trying to kill eachother, learned to get along and even become friends, and ended up, yep, trying to kill eachother.

Honorable mention to Hell in the Pacific, very unique in that the entire film had a cast of 2 - One of them was Lee Marvin so you know it gets pretty gritty ,,, Definetly no love interests in that one.

Last edited by Skynyrd; 01/02/2022 01:54 AM.

Doug