Hello den70, as you have written, the devil lays in the details. E.g. there have been much more manufacturers of true DLV55cm daggers, I have at least 7 in my files, even some more unmarked models and a retailer marked one. I do have wearing pics of different models, even of a totally unknown(!) model clearly resembling the DLV55cm, worn by a DLV member, but nevertheless explicitly differing in details. So the whole case is even much more complicated.

When I did start collecting it was nearly impossible to find a DLV55cm with undamaged scabbard. By damaged I mean the more or less (mostly more) wavy outer shape. The grips often lacked parts of leather. The scabbard fittings had dents. 10-15 years ago suddenly the DLV55cm (the WEYERBERG model, several manufacturers) did pop up here and there and all were in nearly perfect condition. The material was at least spurious (for me). Since that time it is very difficult for collectors to buy a doubtless original DLV55cm WEYERSBERG model, it was still safe to stay with the EICKHORN model (also produced by at least one other manufacturer). But finally, we know it is always the same, also the EICKHORN model bekame faked.

The fact that there is few known about these daggers, there is also few sure material to compare with, makes collecting very difficult. (who from us dares to say what materials were used with ORIGINAL DLV55cm daggers, what are the features to detect faked daggers, what are the differences between between fakes and originals???).

den70, I appreciate your attempt very much. These daggers are very interesting, historical artefacts and originals are very rare because these were most early daggers (look at the DLV sword of teh sae period which is nearly unknown to most collectors), unconfortably to wear (because of their length) and often converted to the later model. I wrote just my thoughts and observations to this interesting thema and, sorry, no, I will not show pics.

Regards,

wotan, gd.c-b#105

"Never look for sqare eggs" as a late owner of an original FHH-dagger used to say.