Hello, I too cannot answer this questions exactly, but at least I can say for sure that boxes did come with their rings between July 1938 (I have the files of an SSleader in which it is explicitly mentioned that the leader has to get the ring, the ringbox and A WOODEN FRAME for the bestowal document) and Dezember 1943 (I got a group directly from the family consisting of ring, dokument and ringbox). So for me it is clear that the boxes did have their appearance already before and still after these dates. HH.was very picky about these things therefore I personally do belive that all or nearly all rings, at least in this timeframe, did come with the certain box which did change during the period.
As with daggers (the paperbags or cardboard boxes) the covering of the rings was of less interest, the rings were worn, so the ringboxes disappeared.
In my files I do have several hundred of original rings but only 10-15 ring boxes....
Here are pics of my rings and boxes. Andy did contact me just a few months before his decease and asked me if I would sale one of my boxes....
And these boxes are faked too, only a short time ago I could detect a very dangerous (if you donĀ“t know how the right thing has been manufactured and do not own originals or had at least them in your hands; originals are VERY delicately and detailed manufactured) and cleverly faked one.
Regards,

TKRe.JPG (89.48 KB, 223 downloads)
TKRe_a.JPG (106.63 KB, 224 downloads)

wotan, gd.c-b#105

"Never look for sqare eggs" as a late owner of an original FHH-dagger used to say.