bringing this back to top because I've had some emails about enamel..

Real black glass fired enamel is hard to do. The enamel in our rings are complicated, time consuming process from top to bottom.
Preparing the piece,, making the sifted colored glass powders, making the wet pack, packing, firing at high temps,, slow even curing/drying, then the burnish,polish.. Each one a skill.

Someone wrote me they are using real enamel in some fakes. Possible , but not probable... They are using 'ez' enamel,,'quick' enamel etc. Look at post right here with the perfect condition SS ring here that starts with pt.3... This is the new stuff... Very hard and looks the part.. I have not had the opportunity to test all the new products of the last couple years. It is always opaque. Usually super flat like a mill had gone over it ,,almost too flat..
Sometimes they try and age the ring. The enamel breaks weird and when inspected from a side view you can not see it is not glass.. I know this is very hard to explain and there is rings with opaque enamel just usually not black..

Any SS ring with the SS runes protruding above the 'enamel field' of the cartouche is a fake..
Any SS ring that fails a hot pin or enamel test is fake. -[ Disclaimer, if not comfortable performing test bring to a experienced/competent jeweler.] -Remember the SS ring the hot pin test was done his local jeweler said 'looks like enamel'.
Any SS ring with broken enamel and it looks like the enamel is layered is fake.
Beware of claimed ground dug SS rings and the enamel is perfect and looks like the one posted here pt.3.
Be suspicious of these super flat enamel SS rings where the pattern has never been seen before..

Beware, be suspicious, doubt... These rings are not cheap. They are very expensive unless you get very very lucky! I want you all to have the rings you want in your collections. Stick with known patterns, good natural age etc. Ask questions,,you can always ask here,,there are other US forums, German forums, Russian forums..Don't lose your money and end up with a ring you always have to explain.. Happy hunting ...

Last edited by Gaspare; 03/02/2021 05:43 PM.