I'm certainly not an expert but very interested in this subject since I joined this hobby and did amass a great amount of literature until my x trashed it. As it turns out this subject runs off into other parts of our hobby like jewelry, rings etc. from this period and the details of how they are made which is in the literature as well and just about anything thats stamped, engraved or marked..I love marks of any kind really...Just came upon this thread I think.

As we all know and realize It takes a lot of training to be a very proficient engraver, so skilled engravers during this period advertised and looked for employment. I think some, maybe a few jewelers might have or were trained and skilled or not so skilled but most employed/utilized a skilled engraver to do the work. So a master jeweler more than likely is not a master engraver or vise versa. A well known and popular manuscript was used by engravers and jewelers to utilize and show customers the many styles they could choose from. Many of the monogramed engravings shown are directly from this book and thats why we see a lot of different styles and the same popular stylized monograms. And yes engraving machines electro magnetic machines, etching needles, drills, a Burin or Graver which are engraving hand tools, Roulettes of various types, etc etc. were used and or a combination thereof. Best!