He really liked this ring a lot. We exchanged many a email and I never mind because it keeps your brain working!

It got to the point I said,,'do a hot point test on the enamel or bring it to a professional and lets start eliminating the problems ..... He was very leery of doing it.
And,, didn't really trust his local jewelers as they were saying the enamel was good.. Right away it looks not properly done.. Some will reason it away that is was maybe a 'under fill' on the enamel... Guys,, these blackies were early pieces, They were for SS men!, the quality should be there,,,it really should have been right/good.

So the result was to send to me to test.. Many are reluctant to perform this test themselves.. IF it is the last thing to eliminate and you spent a small fortune on it I feel its the only way to be sure. So what is it?
First -IF you read the link in the first post explaining what and how enamel is it should help.

So now you've read the link...You take a sewing pin,,any kind of pin,, the sharp end of a safety pin. I've seen guys at military shows use a Riker case pin! You hold it with a pair of pliers or similar.. Put over a open flame, from your stove or lighter etc . When it is glowing Red hot,,,with a little pressure you put it in to the enamel field,,,Do NOT scratch,,go straight in...
IF, if it is real enamel there will be no harm. [ They do actually sell a professional tool for this! follow directions!]

* Warning - I am not suggesting the faint of heart, those not confident and not sure to do this! This was a test the rings owner had seriously thought about, asked about, and had sent me the ring. IF bad he was going to get a refund...

- For those willing to try you can experiment first.. Simply put the pin on a drinking glass. Nothing will happen.. Maybe go to a flea market [which is what I did years ago] and buy a few cheapie pieces.. Some will melt in deep, some will melt in ever so slightly,,they are 'quick enamels',hard plastic.. You will find some real enamel and there will be no mark.....
IF you are in to this and don't like my method please then don't even think about it. - *As I mentioned,,there is a professional tool for doing this and again the directions also must be followed to the letter!

- Here is the result.. a couple hits,,,,A hard plastic, a quick enamel, something that is not authentic to the period glass paste fired enamel. -

The ring was safely sent back and hopefully he got his refund....

5.JPG (42.18 KB, 239 downloads)
4 (2).JPG (48.79 KB, 239 downloads)
Last edited by Gaspare; 10/26/2020 04:34 PM.