Gary:

Good questions all.

The Holler catalogue shows this pattern, but not this exact, etch as pattern Nr 102 with the blunt bookends.

There is a Holler etch depicted in Wayne's book on page 178 with the same wide wing eagle, which is not shown in their catalogue. So, I would say that the blunt ES102 pattern, even with the wide wing eagle is a Holler pattern.

Wayne states in his book, and I agree with his observation, that a number of prolific etchers, like Holler, sold certain patterns to other manufacturers who did not have or want etching facilities. In particular, there seems to be some sore of exclusivity offered on certain etch patterns to certain buyers.

This takes us to Seilheimer. Seilheimer catalogue show them selling the Holler ES102 and the ES103 pattern Holler etches. The only eagles they seem to offer are the Luftwaffe droop tail and the Wehrmacht open wing (that we have seen on what looks like a one off Holler piece). You can find examples od the ES102 pattern with wide wing eagle on pages 203 and 204.

This is the first example that I have seen of the wide wing eagle and the flak gun combination. I have seen and have in my collection a stubby wing/flak gun combination on a Holler marked bayo.

As to your question re patents, some etch patterns show the Ges. Gesch. of patent pending most do not. I have no idea why this is. I have never seen this on a Holler, nor Eickhorn nor Pack, made etch.

Wayne's book also states that Holler sold etch patterns to Alcoso, Horster, Evertz, Luneschloss, Herder and WKC as well as Seilheimer, some of which have the ES102 pattern with wide wing eagle if you look in the book. Which means that the example you show could very well appear on bayonets marked with any of the above makers, IMHO.

As to James observation that Holler subcontracted etching, I do not know, but assume that some form of subcontracting was taking place all the time in order to meet production schedules at peak times for all of the blade manufacturers.

Nice etched bayonet on a not often found maker, Gary.

John

Obverse Etch Front.JPG (42.68 KB, 200 downloads)
Obverse Etch Rear.JPG (39.33 KB, 200 downloads)
Obverse Etch.JPG (36.1 KB, 200 downloads)
TM.JPG (37.44 KB, 196 downloads)

Always looking for Eickhorns and etched bayonets.