I have a few question concerning this etch on the bayonet.
This etch is generally accepted to be by Holler even though it is on a Paul Seilheimer marked bayonet,

1) Why is it a Holler etch?
2) Are there any holler marked etched bayonets with this etch on them.? (notice the open winged eagle to the L/H side of the etch).
3) Do any of the Holler catalouges show this exact etch.?, I only have one Hioller catalouge and its not in there.
4) If as James says that Holler subcontracted their etching did Holler have a patent on their etches or were the Patents held by the etch company.?
5) I've noticed this open winged eagle on Horster etched bayonets as well and I have heard that they used Holler etches, what other companies used this open winged eagle on their bayonet etches, was it just Seilheimer and Horster?

I'm not sure why this etch is not classed as a Paul Seilheimer etch rather than a Holler etch on a Paul seilheimer bayonet, it's easy just to say that it's a "Holler type etch" and leave it at that, but that doesn't make sense to me, where is the patent mark on this etch ( Ges gesch), you see it on other etches on some edged weapons, was there ever a patent mark on these etches or any bayonet etches?.

Gary

1 - 2.jpg (37.87 KB, 219 downloads)
1 - 4.jpg (33.36 KB, 220 downloads)
1 - 7.jpg (17.67 KB, 219 downloads)