Bob,

what you have is a so-called heavy dagger for naval officers.

The scabbard is very beautiful, but what we often see on these pieces
The blade is extraordinary. Most likely Damascus - hard to tell from the photos - with gold inlay and bluing is rare.

You ask for its value.

Tom Wittmann has offered a more plain bladed piece for 20k dollars on his website for some years now. Despite an offered discount, it hasn't been sold yet.

There is a problem here that many collectors are not aware off. For the export and import of antique ivory you need a Cites permit. Fish&Wildlife does not issue this anymore if a selling is involved - for reasons of nature conservation and to make the sale of ivory nearly impossible. This has reduced the value of all early German naval daggers because of their ivory handles. Therefore this dagger is now legally only to sell in the US, and collectors of such pieces are quite scarce there. Many prefer TR items. EU customs checks every parcels coming in.

An established dealer will most likely try to sell this piece on commission, this can take a very long time.

Personally, I would buy the dagger in the price range of the piece offered by Tom, if it were in the EU. Unfortunately this is not possible for the reasons mentioned above. I think an offer about 15 Grands should be taken into consideration, if one wants to sell.

If you?re having any further questions I?m glad to answer.

However it?s a great item you have. Congrats.

Best;
Hermann