NO... These are not prototypes by any stretch of the imagination.. (if period)
For those of us who are in the trade ( I own tool and die shop) A prototype is just that a concept piece... A mock up {BEFORE AND A STRESS BEFORE!! A LIMITED NUMBER ARE MADE FOR VERIFICATION}...
An original model on which something is patterned.. Many times a totally hand made or machined one off parts..,
The word prototype does not belong on these daggers what ever they are..
Who said the copper was to soft???? Just a uneducated opinion?? IT WAS TOO EXPENSIVE... from a manufacture point of view..

I have made many prototype parts at my business.. And as I said for those who UNDERSTAND THE PRODUCTION PROCESS PROTOTYPES ARE NOT 10 ,50,100, PARTS.
Now from there you may go to a short run of parts they are inspected and if they pass inspection (certs some time required) than you go into production..
If these daggers are period at the very BEST they are just a short (small run of PRODUCTION pieces..)

Collectors , dealers who call these prototypes should look the word up in a industrial trade dictionary.....
I hope this drives it home enough for the arm chair prototype experts..
THERE ARE A FEW DOCUMENTED REAL PROTOTYPE DAGGERS AND SWORDS OUT THERE BUT VERY RARE AND SOME PRONE TO BE FAKES.
THAN YOU HAVE THE DOCUMENTED ONE OFF PRESENTATION AND EXPOSITION PIECES.. THESE ARE ANOTHER CATEGORY THAT I COLLECT..
DAVE UNDERSTANDS BECAUSE HE WAS IN THE TRADE.. MANY LAYMEN DO NOT UNDERSTAND THE TERM PROTOTYPE AND BY SOME OF THE POSTS ITS SEEMS WISHFUL THINKING . THERE IS NO MIDDLE GROUND HERE.. IT IS BLACK AND WHITE.. NO ROOM FOR DEBATE.

Last edited by DAMAST; 03/21/2020 12:25 AM.