Originally Posted by 12472
Hello!

Soldering the inner ring to the outer ring is very time consuming and I think, you should see traces of solder at the seam?

Because the material of the solder has a different alloy than the ring itself.
Why? the melting point of the solder must be lower than the melting point of the rings, otherwise the rings will be destroyed while soldering??.

Best regards,
Dierk

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hello Dierk,

as you rightly said "you should see traces of solder at the seam....."

So, why there are no traces visible at naked eye (but possibly by x-ray) of a joining seam of supposed two layers of the ring band ? My answer is because silver alloy planchet by two layers was made before SSHr production starting.

If you use a silver alloy made by two layers joined together and then you have to heat up and casting it into a die, are you still able to distinguish the two layers, when the ring is finished ?

I sincerely do not believe so....but if you use a two layers silver alloy to stamp a ring, you will finally have a finished ring that possibly show under x-ray a two layers band construction.....that's what I was meaning in my previous post.

Ric