Gary,

I absolutely agree with you, this bayonet has a lot going for it in terms of circumstantial evidence and the fact you acquired it reasonably only adds to that. It is a bayonet I would like to have in my collection as well.

Regarding Wayne, I was curious about his thoughts only to the extent of what he thought about the specific font, considering his experience in the scope of etched bayonets.

The concept that these bayonets have been around prior to the inception of the 3R is certainly something I've thought about many times, simply based on maker marks, early bakelite patterns, hilt configurations and anecdotal facts like the date on your bayonet. It's always satisfying to delve into things this deeply.

Thanks for sharing!

[quote=Baz69]Billy

What is interesting to me is that we can now pretty much confirm that these types of bayonets were made pre 3rd Reich and we have conclusively moved the time back to at least 1931, I will have to look in my catalouge collection to see if I can find it in any of my Weimar catalouges.
I don't have much luck with contacting Wayne, twice I have tried and both times he has come back asking for some kind of info which I do not intend to divulge to him or anybody, he's got my email address so that should be enough, to be honest with you I'm sure this piece is OK and like most things I buy I'm comftable with it myself and thats all that matters to me. As this piece is pre 3rd Reich I'm not sure if there are any hard and fast rules regarding these etches, perhaps he would know and he is quite welcome to give his opinion in this thread but even if it were negative I would still know and feel it is good.
The way I always look at any piece is to work out if all the parts and pieces match as they do in this example, the chances of a faker knowing that this particular Horster mark is pre 3rd Reich and then applying an etch to match that mark in time frame is pretty slim, add to that the very reasonable price I paid and it just doesn't make sense to me for it to be a fake etch.

Thank you all very much for your comments.

Gary[/quote]

GDC Gold Badge #290
GDC Silver Badge #310