Dave, Absolutely agree. Interfered w/ H's wishes/demands, Interfered with space/cosmetics etc.

G, You stated it was tested? Do you know how many karats?

G, I'm not in any way trying to be argumentative at all. It depends on the item when an item is marked. With several parts/pieces such as this one, before it's assembled a skilled smith would identify an area to be marked and mark it appropriately prior to assembly, for ease and for possible unnecessary damage, but damage very unlikely. I have a few like this, the part/piece was marked then assembled and all the marks fit easily within 1/8" width area with absolutely no damage. Normally the maker mark is punched harder then the rest, but still would not cause any damage soft medal or not. I must review my documents I think if one was to mark an item it gave the area. I have forgotten so much lately lol.

I would like to make one thing clear so we all are on the same sheet of music and I have mentioned this in the past but needs to be addressed on occasion. "The law does not state small items" or mentions what those items are, such as rings, cuff links etc. It simply states "may not on gold and silver jewelry be attached". That makes a big difference right! There is an amendment for silver plated cutlery but that's for another topic.

I'm also a stickler and need to catch myself at times.You know I hate the term Hallmarks when it comes to German marks because they are not. I know it's become a catch all phrase, oh well so be it. I absolutely love the simplicity and ease to which these laws work and I hope they never change.

Sorry if I got off topic.

Almost forgot, Mike AKA Byzanti, Would you mind explaining your meaning I would appreciate it. You stated "you would have to consult a silver makers guide to find out if there is a date for the stamp". Not with German marks of this period or am I missing your point. Thank you.