Hi, I purchased this Kriegsmarine dagger by WKC yesterday at a local arms and Militaria fair it was a toss up between this dagger and a nice early NSKK by Hugo Rader Solingen ( a 7 on the McSarr list) I was going to go for the NSKK but after scrutinizing it closely the scabbard throat screws were off set and not fully inserted, the slots looked a bit chewed up and the holes in the fitting for the screws were bulging out a bit add to this the pommel nut was also a bit chewed as though a over sized spanner had slipped around it the blade was ok but a little pitted from rust and cleaned, So putting what I've learnt here into practice I presumed it had most likely been messed with by someone who did not know what they were doing and so passed on it and went for this WKC Navy with hammered scabbard.
I have checked it out online and it all looks right for WKC and I think it may have the early style eagle pommel, I made a decision after much careful consideration to take it down as I had noticed that under the red felt blade washer there is a number 6 or 9 stamped into the plate so my curiosity was aroused as to if there were any other internal marks present on this piece. I know it's not advised to disassemble daggers but I do a lot of delicate work with models and have restored some watches etc. in the past so I felt confident and would never force anything that just does not want to move etc. So anyway the white grip is wood cored and was a very tight fit on the blade tang but it came away with patience and gentle persuasion I made sure to make a small pencil mark to the bottom of the grip so I was sure to place it back exactly the same way around that it came off I then noticed that the Tang also has the same number stamped into it, I then slid the cross guard off and found this also has the same number stamped underneath it. What are the numbers ? I am guessing they were for assembly so parts were not mixed up but may be wrong of course. I love the detail to the pommel eagle and nice little oak leaf enhancements to the scabbard band eyelets the more I look at this dagger the more I like it but have had bad luck with Kriegsmarine daggers in the past so am braced for disappointment if I've made another bad decision? That said please look at the attached photos and add your comments/opinions about this dagger. Lastly I have a very nice gold toned knot with cats anus type filling and am thinking of putting it on this dagger, What would you guys do add it or leave it without? Apologies if I have gone on a bit too long with my text and hope the pics are ok funny thing is I can get fairly good close ups but never a good pic of the entire dagger or of the blade etching, just can't get the light right anyway the blade is better than the pics show.

2005-08-11 20.58.25.jpg (129.54 KB, 250 downloads)
2005-08-11 20.38.25.jpg (133.71 KB, 249 downloads)
2005-08-11 20.39.12.jpg (93.2 KB, 249 downloads)
2005-08-11 20.00.24.jpg (103.54 KB, 249 downloads)
2005-08-11 20.17.50.jpg (130.5 KB, 251 downloads)
Last edited by AndyBurton; 06/04/2018 02:23 PM. Reason: Missing text.