Originally Posted by matthew
Regarding the engraving: since the rings were produced in flat strips then joined at the ends to form a ring (think the part about it being impossible to cast them as loops proves it), they would be almost certainly engraved in their flat state as well, IMO. It is simply easier that way, ...........

You are also right about the engraving machines doing the work on the rings in their finished state. But I think we can agree the rings were not engraved by a machine at that point in time.

Finally, whether my version or yours is closer to the truth the contention was that the 'angled' engraving was done that way only because it was performed post assembly because of the room restrictions. I have posted another piece with the same type of hand engraving which, IMO, disproves the theory put forth by Antonio for no other reason other than the engraver had all the room to work with yet he still used the same type of angled engraving. Would you agree?

Hello Matthew, we, as we are no ring engravers, have a wrong expectance. We (I once did it too) think it would be easier. I can assure you, those ring engravers I have asked the certain question " would it not be much easier...." did only laugh about my question. Engravers, ring engravers too, have been very skilled and well trained craftsmen.
Until the ring is fixed in the round there are several steps of fitting and corrections, also with tools inside which would/could harm the engraving so the engraving always was done at last, at the fixed ring, without risk and with more safety in splitting the free space. at least that is what they told me.
To our best knowledge the ring engravers did their work "in house" by Gahr and it is said there have been four of them, therefore differences in the appearance of the engravings and in the single letters.

You are totally right, these TKRs have been hand engraved, never by a machine. I only wanted to express that even nowadays, after a most significant change in the process (from hand to machine) rings today are still engraved in the fixed round (I think, because of the same old reasons).

The first letter "S" really shows best how often the engraver?s tool has to be set to form it. Moreover there is, obviously in the whole inscriptions, no real straight scheduled, strict horizontal line. I do not know for sure why an engraving at the rear of a badge would be angled but I think it was so deep in the thinking and automaticly executing of these engravers that they always did engrave this way. Just my personal thoughts.

Regards,

wotan, gd.c-b#105

"Never look for sqare eggs" as a late owner of an original FHH-dagger used to say.