Antonio, please do not take offense, nor anyone else in the discussion. I think the fact that we all love and appreciate these rings for what they are as well as how they were made (regardless of opinion) are all part of sharing the same passion for collecting and history. We aren?t a large bunch, but consider how difficult it is when someone comes up to you (all of you) at a show and says SO you are the ring guy? What do you think of this? (Then shows you a ring with signrunes, a skull, maybe a Nazi flag, and something about ?panzer? inscribed on the inside..) before you even get a chance to say it?s a fantasy piece, they have already accused you of 1. Not knowing anything becuase 2. They got it from a vet and 3. They think your stuff is a bunch of fakes anyway. Plus, they already asked Craig who was the true authority and wrote the only book they ever (claimed to) read on the subject and they know he knows his stuff (and it goes on...)
EVERY knowledgeable discussion on the subject we all have brings us closer to the truth, and continues respect and interest in the hobby as well as ring collecting in general. Every post here looks valuable to me, but I do not have to nor anyone else has to agree with anyone?s opinion in particular. You make excellent points, so does Hap, so does G, and on and on here... if 300 people have viewed this, 300 more thoughts added to the discussion even if not one was posted. Guys, this is about appreciating our rings and collectibles on every level... Andy made the point first- we can all agree... we can?t take any of it with us,, just preserve it for the next generation to appreciate, discuss, and study. The words written here by you guys will stay as long as there is a forum on the Internet,,, I?m hoping G chimes in with whatever I have missed here- maybe makes it a sticky?? And again thanks to ALL who read and participated in the discussion! It was a great read!!!