I don't normally post here but I was asked to so I'll respond.
I'm in basic agreement with Gaspare as to how these rings were crafted and I'll review some of the pertinent points:

First off the gentleman from Italy is not the only one to propose these rings were cast as C. Gottlieb claimed that in his infamous book published several years ago. And his casting ?theory? was for the most part refuted by others in the hobby.

Let's for the sake of discussion assume they were cast so we have to explain the following:
1.Why do the rings have a sizing seam? Were they all cast large in the round and then cut to size?
2.Why are the skulls cast separately and then attached? Wouldn?t it make more sense to cast them as in integral part of the ring?
3.Given the number of steps required as Gaspare outlined would casting and hand finishing make sense for a relatively high volume item?
4.Again as Gaspare indicated if these were Not made with dies why were the casting flaws never corrected?
5. As far as finish goes, anyone who has handled silver coins which are die struck particularly the collector grades know very well the quality of the finished surface. I for one dispute the assertion that a superior finish can be expected due to casting.
6.Additionally research I and other have done point to the fact that die stamping/casting was the most common method of silver fabrication during the 3rd Reich period.

Perhaps Hapur who makes good copies will tune in here and add additional information.
I always try to keep an open mind but to convince me and probably many others that these were cast is going to require more proof then a bunch of microscope images.
Jim.

Last edited by jim m; 04/26/2018 06:35 PM.