Sorry to kick up what seems to be an old topic but it seems to me there's still a lot of room for discussion here. Most of you probably don't know me, I'm new to the forum and trying to find some answers about a new 98/05n.A. in my collection. I've been collecting about ten years on amateur level, mostly WW1 german bayonets, I don't collect much WW2 or SS stuff because there are too many fakes out there and the prices can reach sky high, then safer and cheaper to collect WW1 edged weapons, also interesting. The reason I join the discussion in this topic is that I picked up a nice 98/05na weimar rework bayonet that appears to have some SS II stamps on bayonet and scabbard. It was listed as WW1 bayonet, the seller claimed to know nothing about it and it wasn't until I held the piece in my hands that I noticed the SS stamps. I have over 20 books on bayonets and German edged weapons but none of the specify on 98/05's being issued to SS. I've taken a few hours to read this entire topic and there have appearantly been SS men equipped with 98/05's. I've seen SS and totenkopf markings on gew98's before but have never seen them on 98/05 bayo's and I've had quite a few going though my hands in the past years. My 98/05 weimar was made in 1917 by Durkopp and Rich.A.Herder in 1917 and has been reworked, blued, frogstud adapted for 1920 weimar reissue. All seems ok and in nice condition. It has a LAH monogram and SS II stamp ont the blade and scabbard throat and I wonder if these could be original, I've never seen it before. As said the seller claimed to know little about bayonets and the price was normal for a weimar reissue 98/05 in good condition. It came with a plain brown frog with an 90% faded indecipherable makers mark. Here are some pictures below, I'm curious about the stamps and wonder if somebody could have done them postwar but didn't ask more after the trouble of putting fake markings?

Thanks gentlemen, I'm curious about your opinions.

Last edited by Dave; 01/20/2019 07:31 PM. Reason: Dead links removed