Believe it or not I didn't even think to bring a camera with me, I thought it would distract from my enjoyment [this was in the late 90's], so all I have is my memory of it.
Was mind blowing, I was awed. Corregidor is incredible, spent nearly 5 days there and did as much exploring as I could, much of it off the beaten path.
Can be very dangerous, cobras and other dangerous animals lurk, and there are open airshafts and tunnels that you can easily fall into and you'd never get out. Didn't go off my myself too often for that reason, I did climb Malinta Hill by myself and enjoyed every minute of it.

The Bataan of WW2 fame is far gone forever, much of it is developed, cultivated and trashed in what was wild jungle back then but there are still a few gems, didn't explore nearly enough to get a good picture of it.

Fort Drum was absolutely amazing, for those that don't know it was/is a fortified island near Corregidor.
In the early 1900's the US razed the island nearly to the sea and built it up with steel and concrete in the shape of a battleship, and it had 4 14" guns to back it up.
They were the only guns we had during the siege that could fire with impunity. Japanese fired a ridiculous amount of ordinance into it, including the largest caliber mortars ever made [In the high 200's, Germans may have had one bigger] ,,, They did nothing but chip the concrete, never penetrated and in fact only suffered a few casualties during the entire siege.
The big guns were firing right up until the surrender [though their effectiveness was limited due to our near total loss of the air, which made spotting nearly impossible] - The big guns were spiked and surrendered along with Corregidor.
[I think it was crewed by around 300, less than 50 survived brutal captivity ... I'm doubting if there are any Drum vets left with us]

We took it back in 1945, and it has been moldering in the bay every since. Very tough to access it, the fort was made obviously to be hard to access. You have to go on a relatively calm day, you hire a sampan or banca to take you out there and walk a plank to one of the few areas that its even possible to get to.
An amazing wreck, and also extremely dangerous. The upper deck is sound but the lower decks are full of cavernous holes and weakened cement - Much of it wrecked by scrappers, plowing into floors and walls for rebar over the years.
It has 4 levels,1st 2 are dangerous but doable, third is nearly impossible and mostly flooded, 4th is gone forever, caved in and flooded when we retook the fort in 1945 with 100's of Japanese still entombed in it.
Big guns we still standing proud when I was there, in the same positions they were when they were fired the last time and spiked in 1942. They have since unfortunately sunk back into the turrets, from deterioration and scrappers.
It is now off limits and you would be subject to arrest for even sailing close to it.

Anyone interested in Corregidor/Bataan [and the other fortified islands, there are more than Corregidor and Drum] has to visit this site

http://corregidor.proboards.com/board/21/trip-reports

And this sub forum if anyone wants to learn more about Ft Drum with lots and lots of pictures, including a guy who had the stones to enter the 3rd level [had to bring a raft with him]

http://corregidor.proboards.com/board/10/concrete-battleship

Last edited by Skynyrd; 11/16/2017 03:55 AM.

Doug