I always recommend doing your homework first if you are unsure of anything you wish to buy. Not just general knowledge, but specific. Post photos here or show them to a competent, knowledgeable collector or dealer BEFORE you buy. If you wait until after you buy and get bad news, the seller has your money and you are at his mercy. I also recommend continuing research and study on all things pertaining to the hobby. You can learn much on a number of sites and Wittmann's descriptions are among the best. He often points out what verifies authenticity and what are indications of fakes and other problems. His books and those of others are also valuable for learning. The idea is to get to the point where you can feel confident on your own without having to consult anyone as to authenticity and other problems. When I started collecting, the internet was in its infancy and, unless you had a knowledgeable collector nearby, you were on your own. Today, the quick and easy thing to do is simply ask someone online about each and every dagger. In the earlier days, you had to learn what you needed to prevent a disastrous buying mistake. Certainly, there are times it is appropriate to consult with others, but the more you can stand on your own, the better off you will be. Again, if you have doubts, or just don't know, take any necessary steps to satisfy your mind prior to buying, not after you receive the item. You will do yourself a great favor, as well as one for the honest seller. Today, you will get more diverse opinions on just about anything, compared to the earlier days. Then, it was either "right" or it wasn't. Today's hobby is filled with naysayers, know-it-all's and smart-alecks. Many are quick to offer opinions on any given item without having the slightest idea what they are talking about. These self-appointed "experts" are a detriment to the hobby. Many a sale of an authentic item has been squelched because the buyer asked opinions about it and received incorrect information. There are also those who think the only "real" items are those in their collections. Then, there are the jealous ones, who will never own a particular type of dagger, or whatever, and purposely torpedo a sale and deride an item for that very reason. The good, the bad, the ugly are found in every hobby. Caution is always called for, but paranoia is self-defeating.